Source: Medscape Women’s Health eJournal, 7/12/2002 http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/438357
I am sure that you have heard about this large-scale clinical trial by the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) on 16,506 menopausal women 50-79 years of age with an intact uterus who received either HRT in the form of .625 mg of Premarin (synthetic estrogen) and 2.5 mg of Provera (synthetic progesterone called a progestin). Participants were randomized to receive either the HRT or a placebo. This study was halted after 5.2 years because researchers found that the HRT therapy’s risks outweighed its benefits. Note: The risks and benefits of unopposed estrogen (0.625 mg Premarin) is ongoing, with results expected in 2005.
Compared with the placebo users, the combination HRT users experienced:
- More strokes
- More heart attacks
- More blood clots
- Increased risk of invasive breast cancer
Why are women being given estrogen, a substance that was reported to be carcinogenic in over 200 journal articles by 1947?
I have big problems with the following issues and recommendations resulting from the halted HRT trial.
- Critical issues such as the difference between synthetic progesterone (progestins such as Provera) and natural progesterone (made by the human body) are not being addressed.
- So-called “safe” phytoestrogens for estrogen therapy, such as soy products, herbs such as black cohosh, etc., are being recommended.
- Estrogen creams are recommended to prevent vaginal dryness. These include estrogen tablets (Vagifem, Estrace), and creams (Estrace, Premarin, Ortho Dienestrol).
- The use of synthetic drugs are recommended to prevent bone loss, such as oral bisphosphonates (Fosamax (alendronate); Actonel (risedronate)) and selective estrogen receptor modulators such as Evista (raloxifene), a “designer estrogen.”
- The use of bone scans to determine bone loss and yearly mammograms for “breast surveillance.”
- The use of SSRIs such as Effexor and Paxil (the Prozac class of drugs) to relieve menopausal symptoms.
- The prediction that the use of “traditional” cholesterol-lowering drugs such as the statins (Mevacor, Zocor, etc.) will likely increase for so-called cardiovascular protection.
I have written articles on all of these issues. Here is a brief summary of these myths and the truth.
There is a reference to each orginal article on my website, http://www.litalee.com/
Natural VS Synthetic Progesterone
Do not confuse a synthetic mimic of what your body makes naturally.
Natural progesterone is the female hormone and it will protect you from all of the health issues associated with aging and female problems, which include: PMS, menopause, hot flashes, menstrual irregularities, infertility, spontaneous abortion usually around the 10th week of pregnancy, blood clots, blood pressure irregularities, arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, seizures, especially those that occur around ovulation or menses (called cyclic seizures), gallbladder problems, and much more… Compare this to the adverse effects of synthetic progesterone listed below.
Provera (Medroxyprogesterone): Synthetic progesterone (called progestin). Although progestins have a slight progesterone activity, the terrible side effects outweigh the paltry benefits. Progestins have been associated with common estrogen adverse effects, such as blood clots, strokes and blindness in women. In laboratory animals, progestins cause breast and uterine cancers. In addition, progestins inhibit your body from making its own natural progesterone which increases the risk of spontaneous abortion. Summary of adverse side effects (same as estrogen toxicity): abnormal vaginal bleeding; bulging eyes; double vision or loss of vision; skin rash or itching; severe headaches; sudden loss of coordination; pains in chest, groin, leg, calf; sudden shortness of breath; loss of or change in speech; breast lumps or discharge or unexpected or increased milk flow (a sign of abnormal increase in prolactin); breast swelling or tenderness; hot flashes; brown (liver) spots; weight changes; depression; pains in stomach; yellow eyes or skin (a sign of liver damage); dry mouth; frequent urination; loss of appetite and unusual thirst.
Phytoestrogens, Are They Safe?
No, they are not. All estrogens are toxic, carcinogenic and these include: natural, synthetic, phyto (plant) estrogens such as black cohosh (sold as Remifemin), sage, pennyroyal, etc., and xenoestrogens (from the environment) such as fluoride, radiation, and certain estrogenic popular foods such as ALL soy products and all unsaturated fatty acids (all liquid oils except extra virgin olive oil).
Do Vaginal Estrogens Prevent Vaginal Dryness?
No, they do not. In fact, estrogen is the CAUSE of vaginal dryness and the aging (thinning) of skin. Natural progesterone, on the other hand, prevents the aging of skin and will rejuvenate skin anywhere, including the tender vaginal tissues.
Health Effects of Synthetic Drugs To Prevent Bone Loss
These drugs DO NOT prevent bone loss and have severe toxic side effects. Let me summarize two of them for you.
Fosamax (Aldrenoate): does not prevent osteoporosis and it has terrible side effects. It is in the same class (phosphonate) that is used to remove soap scum from your bath tub. It is a metabolic poison that kills the osteoclasts - the cells that resorb (remove) old bone so that your osteoblasts can build new bone. Naturally, if you kill the osteoclasts, your bones will get denser, but, four years later the bone becomes weaker, even though it’s more dense because Fosamax doesn’t build any NEW bone. Adverse effects: abdominal pain; abnormal bleeding; chest pain, heartburn; nausea or vomiting; pain in bone, esophagus or muscles; skin rash, difficulty swallowing; constipation or diarrhea; gas or bloating; headaches and osteonecrosis of the jaw (rotting of the jaw bone).
Evista (Raloxifene) -“designer estrogen”: Adverse side effects of Evista: coughing up blood; headaches or migraine; loss of or change in speech, coordination or vision; pain or numbness in chest, arm or leg; unexplained shortness of breath; bloody or cloudy urine; chest pain; difficult, burning or painful urination; frequent urgency to urinate; fever; infection; body aches or pain; congestion in throat; cough, dryness or sore throat; loss of voice; runny nose; leg cramping; skin rash; edema (hands, ankles or feet); vaginal itching; severe abdominal pain.
The Use of Bone Scans To Determine Bone Loss and Mammograms For Breast Surveillance
All bone scans, x-rays, mammograms, etc. are high dose radiation and should be avoided, period. None of them are accurately diagnostic and all of them are carcinogenic. Why not prevent disease with good nutrition?
The Use of the Prozac Line of SSRI Drugs To Relieve Menopausal Symptoms
These drugs have terrible side effects and do not relieve anything associated with health problems.
- Increasing serotonin activity can cause sedation, helplessness or apathy.
- Serotonin and histamine are increased by estrogen and their activation mimics the effects of estrogen. Serotonin is involved in mood disorders but also a great variety of other problems that affect women more frequently than men. Serotonin may contribute to the nerve damage seen in multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Serotonin is high in the blood serum and platelets of autistic children and their relatives.
- Serotonin and its derivatives, Melatonin, are both involved in the biology of torpor and hibernation. Serotonin inhibits mitochondrial respiration. Excitoxic death of nerve cells, involves both the limitation of energy production and increased cellular activation. Serotonin has both of these actions.
- Serotonin lowers temperature by decreasing the metabolic rate. Tryptophan and melatonin are also hypothermic. In the winter, more thyroid is needed to maintain a normal metabolism.
- Increased serotonin interferes with learning.
- Edema, bronchoconstriction, immunosuppression and joint swelling are produced by the release of serotonin from platelets or other cells. Serotonin and histamine are directly involved in asthma, hives, gastrointestinal damage from alcohol, nerve cell damage, edema and shock.
- Lilly makes over $2 billion annually on Prozac. Each suicide caused by Prozac would appear to be balanced by several hundred thousand dollars earned by the corporation. Many experiments have shown that estrogen is very important for aggressive behavior in animals, and estrogen promotes serotonin’s actions. Research shows that increased serotonin is associated with certain types of increased aggressiveness but, the clearest research has to do with the crucial role of serotonin in learned helplessness.
- Learned helplessness is a biological condition that is created by inescapable stress. In learned helplessness, the level of serotonin is high and an excess of serotonin helps to create the state of learned helplessness.
- Serotonin tends to cause hypoglycema and this inhibits the conversion of T4 to T3.
- Overdose with the serotonin reuptake inhibitors or with T-HTP, which has similar effects to serotonin can cause the sometimes fatal serotonin syndrome. Symptoms can include tremors, altered consciousness, poor coordination, cardiovascular disturbances and seizures.
The Use of the Statin Class of Drugs to Lower Cholesterol
Lowering cholesterol with an enzyme poison to prevent its formation causes terrible side effects. Why? Because LDL cholesterol (NOT the bad cholesterol) is the starting material that your body needs to convert into the anti-aging steroids, pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA.
All of the Statin drugs have additional side effects plus they contain fluoride, a thyroid poison. They took Baycol off the market after 40 people died from taking it. Adverse side effects of all cholesterol-lowering drugs: liver damage, thyroid disease, depression (due to hypothyroidism), immune system suppression (suppresses helper T cells), cataracts, 25% more bile diseases, 45% increase in gallstones, 73% more gastrointestinal cancers and 175% more incidences of death as a result of suicides, homicides and accidents. Why the horrible side effects? Because these drugs poison the enzyme needed to make LDL cholesterol, the starting material your body needs to make the major anti-aging steroids that prevent all of the diseases of aging (heart disease, bone loss, cancer, senility, etc.).
Why not nourish your body with natural foods, digest them and balance your hormones naturally? This is all you need to prevent menopausal issues and in fact, all female problems.
Related Articles (Fee): Estrogen - Progesterone And Female Problems; Menopause - Osteoporosis And The ERT Fairy Tale; The Breast Cancer - Pesticide Connection; Thyroid Myths; Thyroid Resistance; Pregnenolone - A Fruit Of Cholesterol; Progesterone - Absorption And Safety; Progesterone Anti-Tumor Properties; Related Articles (Free) Estrogen Toxic Side Effects; Soy Toxicity; Hypothyroidism; July 2002 To Your Health (on the effects of CT’s, Bone Density Scans, etc.). See To Your Health: August 2001, April 2002, July 2002 for information on the toxicity of SSRI (Prozac and relatives) drugs, tryptophan and 5HTP (which converts to serotonin).
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. They are not intended to diagnose, prescribe for, treat or claim to prevent, mitigate or cure any human disease. They are intended for nutritional support only. The FTC requires that we tell you that the results in case notes and testimonials published here are not typical, however, they do show what some people have been able to achieve. Individuals vary, which is why we must always consider the whole person when recommending a course of action. The third party information referred to herein is neither adopted nor endorsed by this web site but is provided for general information purposes. The listing of specific disease terms is based upon medical literature and is not a substitute for competent medical advice. If you suspect a medical condition, you should consult a physician.
Copyright 2001 - 2006. Neither this article, nor any part of it, may be reproduced without permission.
If permission to reprint is granted, the article must include author and URL information.
Lita Lee, Ph.D.
to email Lita.